Three at the Moment : Netflix

Tuesday 10 May 2016

So this is something a little different from my usual style/travel/food sphere but since I am talking to you everyday at the moment I figured I should keep you updated on my currents loves (obsessions). So here is a new and maybe to be continued segment – Three at the Moment – where I pick three things that I’m loving, on whatever topic, at the moment, you see? Okay, I’m working on a name but for now, in light of just finishing my university coursework and my binge watching like it's going out of fashion, here are my Three at the Moment choices on Netflix.


 Jane the Virgin
This show follows the life of Jane Gloriana Villanueva a twenty something who has just found out she’s pregnant. Oh, but she’s a virgin. The plot is inspired by the melodrama of Latin American telenovelas (kind of like British soaps but with a lot more gasping). The plot follows Jane as she deals with her pregnancy, and the father - hotelier whose hotel is involved in a drugs scandal, his sister who accidentally, artificially inseminated her, her telenovela star father, her cop boyfriend along with her family relationships. Oh did I mention the murders? I don’t want to give any spoilers so just know this, the plot is ridiculous, but absolutely on purpose. It makes me laugh and every cliff-hanger (so every episode in true telenovela style) finds me scrambling to click for the next episode.

Bates Motel
This is a prequel to Hitchcock’s Psycho which I have to put my hands up and say I still haven’t seen! However, I don’t think it has at all affected my understanding the plot. After the death of his father, whose death we are trying to figure out, Norman Bates and his mother move to Oregon where they have just bought a motel. Naturally it’s an eerie kind of motel, so is the town, in fact so are most of the characters. That seems to be what has kept me going back. I wouldn’t say I’m attached to many of the characters but I want to find out what’s going on in their heads and why they are like they are and why do they keep creeping around in the dark dammit?!

 Modern Family
Okay so this is a longstanding favourite for me but I've recently rewatched it from start to finish so it needs a mention. This mockumentary follows a typical ‘modern family’ in America. Jay and his young Columbian wife Gloria and her son Manny. Then there's Jay's children’s families. Claire, Jay's eldest is married to Phil and they have three children Haley (who I am compared to by my own family for her love of selfies), Alex and Luke. Jay’s son Mitch and partner Cam have just adopted a a baby girl, Lily from Vietnam. The programme shows us their intertwined lives all taken from common familial occurrences and made into comedy genius. The script plays with such common occurrences that we can all relate to. I feel like I haven’t sold this as much as it deserves, but know I am trying and that you need to see it to understand just how hilarious it is.

I hope you’ve enjoyed my Three at the Moment. These are all on Spanish Netflix so I can’t promise they’re on the British but I’m sure they’re all flying around somewhere. Let me know if you watch any of these shows! Or if you give one a go on the back of this post!


H XX

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Carpe Everything. Design by FCD.